Shutters should be the same size as the window, or slightly longer. They should not be shorter than the window.
Why should shutters be the same size as the window?
Shutters are designed to cover the window completely, providing insulation and privacy. If the shutters are too short, they will not be able to cover the window completely, and this will reduce their effectiveness.
Can shutters be longer than the window?
Technically, shutters can be longer than the window, but this is not recommended. If the shutters are too long, they will be difficult to open and close, and they may also get in the way of furniture or other objects in the room.
How to measure shutters for a window
To measure shutters for a window, you will need to measure the width and height of the window frame. The width of the shutters should be the same as the width of the window frame, and the height of the shutters should be slightly longer than the height of the window frame.
Tips for choosing and installing window shutters
When choosing window shutters, it is important to consider the following factors:
- The type of material you want the shutters to be made of (e.g., wood, vinyl, aluminum)
- The style of the shutters (e.g., plantation shutters, louvered shutters, panel shutters)
- The color of the shutters
- The size of the shutters (the shutters should be the same size as the window, or slightly longer)
- The features of the shutters (e.g., adjustable louvers, tilt-in panels, insulation)
Once you have chosen the right window shutters, you will need to install them properly. It is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully to ensure that the shutters are installed correctly and securely.
If you are not comfortable installing window shutters yourself, you can hire a professional to do it for you.
Benefits of using window shutters
Window shutters offer a number of benefits, including:
- Insulation: Shutters can help to insulate your home, both in the summer and the winter. This can lead to lower energy bills.
- Privacy: Shutters can provide privacy, especially when the louvers are closed.
- Light control: Shutters can be used to control the amount of light that enters a room.
- Security: Shutters can help to improve the security of your home by making it more difficult for burglars to enter.
- Aesthetics: Shutters can add a touch of style and elegance to your home.
Window shutters are a great way to improve the insulation, privacy, light control, security, and aesthetics of your home. If you are considering installing window shutters, be sure to choose the right size and style for your windows, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully for installation.